If you’re not already aware of the fact, Dedicated Server Hosting is one of the most powerful hosting servers available today. When an entire hosting server is dedicated to one website, it ensures flawless performance and robust security.
Dedicated Web Hosting Servers offer top-notch performance with their dedicated resources. You can opt for a Dedicated Hosting Server when you need the privacy, customizability, and high performance that they offer. The best Dedicated Server Hosting is the one that is custom configured for performance. A Dedicated Server can be configured to get more performance out of it.
A Linux Dedicated Server is more flexible in terms of tweaking for performance and security. The full root access that it offers unlocks the full potential of existing hardware and software. Sometimes, a few strategic tweaks are all it takes. At other times, there’s an entire process to be followed to get the desired result. And it is all possible because of the root access. Without it, all the crucial tweakable parameters are locked for users.
Let us look at what root access means for performance in Dedicated Server Hosting.
What is root access?
A ‘root’ user in Linux is like the ‘Administrator’ in Windows. It is a superuser account. A user with root access has unrestricted access to all the server settings, including the crucial system settings. Using this access, a root user can fine-tune a server’s performance by changing the default settings.
Don’t get us wrong, default settings work just fine, but they are not tuned for specific websites. Imagine being able to change each and every server setting to specifically suit your website’s needs. A root user can add, delete, and change any file. They can install any software and can change any setting. In this respect, root access is a double-edged sword.
One wrong setting can degrade performance, or worse, bring the entire server crashing down. For this reason, root access must be granted to a technically sound user. Also, root access must be safeguarded against unauthorized use. A malicious user can wreak havoc on the server with root access.
Advantages of root access in Dedicated Servers
As we stated earlier, root access is an unrestricted pass to system-wide settings. No files and no settings are off-limits. It is a powerful tool in the right hands. Let us list some advantages of root access in Dedicated Server Hosting.
- A root user has complete access to a hosting server’s file system. They can add new files to the server, edit existing files and delete any files from the server.
- Root access also gives a user complete control over user management. They can add new users, block users from accessing the website and even remove existing ones completely.
- Root users also control permission management which allocates specific rights to website users based on their roles or other conditions.
- Root access allows the user to install any software on the hosting server. This is useful for websites that need proprietary applications to work as expected.
- Finally, root access enables performance and security enhancement by making changes to deep settings.
Root access is a handy tool for performance enhancement. At the same time, it is also a big responsibility. But in the right hands, root access can work wonders for a website’s performance and security.